onClick=""
Monongahela Area Historical Society
Monongahela Area Historical Society
230 West Main Street, Monongahela, PA 15063
Phone: 724.292.8247
guestbook.gif
Become a Member
Copyright 2008 Monongahela Area Historical Society - All rights reserved
President's Message
Gift Shoppe
mahs-c001008.gif
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader for some links on this site. Download here for FREE!
Whiskey Rebellion
Please sign our guest book!
Click here to contact the Webmaster
Historic Houses
mahs_january_2015001017.gif
Officers
Susan Bowers, President
Martha Muniz, Vice President
Jim Steiner, 2nd Vice President
Carol Frye, Treasurer
Terrie Steiner, Recording Sec.
Kathy DeSantis, Corresponding Sec.
MUSEUM HOURS: Wednesdays 10-2
Saturdays 10-2 when volunteers are available
mahs_january_2015001016.jpg mahs_january_2015001015.jpg mahs_january_2015001014.jpg
LINKS
mahs_january_2015001013.jpg angel02.gif angel02.gif
About Us
mahs_january_2015001012.jpg
Preserving the past for the future!
LOCAL EVENTS
Help us keep the Museum open! Make a donation today.
mahs_january_2015001008.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif
In the picture: The Commercial Hotel
To the left is a short video explaining the Whiskey Rebellion of 1791-1794.
MARCH NEWS
left_arrows.gif right_arrows.gif mahs_january_2015001008.gif
MAHS Calendar
Become a Member
mahs_january_2015001008.gif
The Monongahela Area Historical Society is now accepting dues for 2015. Please go to the become a member button above where you can pay with PayPal, Credit or Debit Card or send your payment in with the form that can be downloaded.
2015 DUES
A hotel had been operated at the corner of Fourth and West Main Street since at least 1852. Over the years the streets have been renamed - Fourth Street having once been called Ferry Street. This was Lot 146 of the Wickerham plan of lots. William Ihmsen sold the property to James B. Mercer in October 1831. James Mercer built a brick building there in 1834. In 1852, the heirs of James Mercer sold the property, "occupied by Abraham Fulton as a hotel, and consisting of a brick tavern house, a comfortable frame dwelling, and extensive stabling. James Prescott Shepler purchased "the Hempfield  House" on the corner of Main and Ferry Streets in 1852. Shepler con- ducted the hotel there until 1883. By 1889 the hotel was known as the Hotel Wilgus and the upper stories of the hotel had a capacity of over 50 rooms. Oysters were served in the dining room in 1887 at 25 cents, and there was a separate entrance for the ladies through the hotel hall. The carriage house and extensive stables were attached to the riverside portion of the lot. By 1900 the building was called the Commercial Hotel. The property passed through a number of different proprietors and renovations. In 1907 over 100 guests were entertained in the dining room. Over the years several other business also used parts of the street level rooms. The Jones Brothers operated a grocery in 1884. A billiard room was attached to the reading room.
Research by Charles Talbert
Contact Us
This month's old time photo!
March Historical Society
A reminder that all local members are required to be a docent at least once a year on either a Wednesday or a Saturday from 10:00am to 2:00pm. Please contact us through the contact button above or call Susan Bowers at 724-258-2377 to schedule your day.
Alan Veliky presenting MEC sign to the Historical Society
Steve Cox presenting signed Nerf Football to the Historical Society
Signed Nerf football
Speaker Scott Frederick explaining about the Nerf football
The Monongahela Area Historical Society held its monthly meeting on February 26, 2015 in the parlor of the Monongahela First Presbyterian Church at 7:00 pm.
There were several items on the agenda for this month's meeting including the presentation of the old sign from the entrance of the now closed Monongahela Elementary Center from Monongahela Councilman, Alan Veliky. Mr. Veliky tracked down the person or persons that purchased the sign and purchased it from them in order to donate it to the Historical Society. He transported it to his home where he is storing it until such time it can be moved to the Historical Society's Museum. We would like to thank Mr. Veliky for the generous donation and for the opportunity to preserve such a big part of the Ringgold school system.
The speaker for the evening was member Scott Frederick, retired teacher from the Ringgold School District. His topic was, Monongahela area inventors with particular emphasis on Professor Schick's flying machine and the Nerf football of Fred Cox. We would like to thank Scott for such an informative presentation.
Upon completion of Scott's presentation, Steve Cox, nephew of the inventor Fred Cox presented a signed Nerf football to the Historical Society. This will make one more great addition to our museum.
Also during the meeting a quart size beer bottle embossed with the name of Anton Brewing Company Monongahela was presented. Chris Pestino descendent of the Anton family made the presentation. Yet another great addition to our museum.
Don't forget that our Museum is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays when docents are available. The hours are from 10:00 am -2:00 pm. Stop down and check out our new additions.