You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader for some links on this site. Download here for FREE!
Please sign our guest book!
Susan Bowers, President
Martha Muniz, Vice President
Jim Steiner, 2nd Vice President
Carol Frye, Treasurer
Terrie Steiner, Recording Sec.
Kathy DeSantis, Corresponding Sec.
Help us keep the Museum open! Make a donation today.
Become a Member
The Monongahela Area Historical Society is now accepting dues for 2015. Please go to the become a member button above where you can pay with PayPal, Credit or Debit Card or send your payment in with the form that can be downloaded.
Monongahela Area Historical Society
Copyright © 2008 Monongahela Area Historical Society - All rights reserved
MUSEUM HOURS: Wednesdays 10-2
Saturdays 10-2 when volunteers are available
Preserving the past for the future!
In the picture: The Commercial Hotel
To the left is a short video explaining the Whiskey Rebellion of 1791-1794.
A hotel had been operated at the corner of Fourth and West Main Street since at least 1852. Over the years the streets have been renamed
- Fourth Street having once been called Ferry Street. This was Lot 146 of the Wickerham plan of lots. William Ihmsen sold the property
to James B. Mercer in October 1831. James Mercer built a brick building there in 1834. In 1852, the heirs of James Mercer sold the
property, "occupied by Abraham Fulton as a hotel, and consisting of a brick tavern house, a comfortable frame dwelling, and extensive
stabling. James Prescott Shepler purchased "the Hempfield House" on the corner of Main and Ferry Streets in 1852. Shepler con-
ducted the hotel there until 1883. By 1889 the hotel was known as the Hotel Wilgus and the upper stories of the hotel had a capacity
of over 50 rooms. Oysters were served in the dining room in 1887 at 25 cents, and there was a separate entrance for the ladies through
the hotel hall. The carriage house and extensive stables were attached to the riverside portion of the lot. By 1900 the building was
called the Commercial Hotel. The property passed through a number of different proprietors and renovations. In 1907 over 100 guests
were entertained in the dining room. Over the years several other business also used parts of the street level rooms. The Jones Brothers
operated a grocery in 1884. A billiard room was attached to the reading room.
Research by Charles Talbert
This month's old time photo!
March Historical Society
The Monongahela Area Historical Society will meet at 7:00 PM Thursday, May 28, 2015 in the parlor room of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 609 Chess Street, Monongahela, PA 15063. Please enter through the Chess Street entrance.
A discussion with light refreshments follow this month's speaker, Ron Necciai, former pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates. More information about Ron is located on the Local Events page.
Become a Member
L-R, Susan Bowers, Terrie Steiner & Martha Muniz
Swearing in of new officers
Our speaker for the evening was Lee Mizwa, who presented “Western Pennsylvania Archaeology". Lee has worked on many different historic and prehistoric archaeological sites in Western Pennsylvania. A member of the Society of Pennsylvania Archaeology and the Westmoreland Chapter 23, Lee was presented with The Archey Award for his work in archaeology. Currently he is assisting in a local excavation on a Monongahela Village site. Lee is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh.
STROLL, SHOP & SIP PICTURES