In this article, I am going to be talking all about the Monongahela River. It is a wonderful river, indeed. I’m sure you are asking yourself where it came from. This river forms at the junction of Tygart Valley River and west fork rivers in the Marin County. This wonderful driver also flows northward towards Pittsburgh for a total of 129 miles. This is where it joins the Alleghany River to form the Ohio River.
Let’s talk about how the river was named.
The name Monongahela actually comes from the Unami language, and it roughly translates to ‘falling banks’. The name was given to the river as a proper reference to its high banks that erode very easily because they are loose and muddy in a lot of areas. The river is also known locally as ‘the mon’ or ‘the mon river’, and this is how it is referenced by a lot of local residents.
Here are some interesting facts about the river.
- It is actually one of the few major rivers in the entire northern America that flows from south to north, instead of north to south.
- Because of the locks and dams which are being operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers, the river became one of the first rivers in the entire United States of America with complete navigational controls.
- This river flows through two Mountaineer counties in West Virginia.
- The Monongalia County and the National Forest are both wonderful places that are named after the man on the Monongahela River.
- You should also know that there are a total of nine dams and blocks along the length of the entire river. Some of them begin in Louisville and the end in Braddock.
- There are a lot of activities that you can do on this river. You can fish. It is home to a variety of bass and catfish. I can also tell you with absolute certainty that it is home to a lot of species like bluegill, walleye and more. Local fisheries will usually keep stocking the river with a lot of varieties of trout, including the prized golden trout. During the annual West Virginia Gold Rush event, a lot of fishermen are actually invited so that they can test their luck at catching one of these golden trout which are released into the waterways across the entire state.
- You can even go kayaking if you wanted to. Kayaking is definitely a very fun hobby. Kayak rentals are available at the local sporting goods stores. You can sign up for a solo adventure or a group adventure.
- Yes, boating is definitely an option. It will be a very beautiful experience as well.